shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out


This is a single blog caption

Match Report: Grimsby (H)

grimsbyGrimsby made the long trip to Wrexham for the clubs first meeting in the league and the visitors only came with 11 fit players.

Wrexham were again without club captain Dyfan Jones, so Steve Garnett captained the side once more in his absence.  Matty Thomas named virtually the same starting up from the Northwich game with two absentees in Dave Jenkins who missed the game through illness and Nathan Williams dropping to the bench as he was replaced by Joey Jones in goal.  Lee Roberts returned to the side in a much changed 4-3-3 formation.  Josh Leech returned to the match day squad after missing several months out.

Grimsby kicked the game off and Wrexham quickly closed down the visitors to win back possession.  Wrexham started attacking the Grimsby goal and the front three of Steve Elliot, Gaz Davies and Lee Roberts where working well as a unit and it wasn’t long before Wrexham found the net after Steve Garnett had taken an elbow to the face, the Wrexham skipper dusted himself off to deliver an inch perfect corner and which saw Steve Elliot rise up and head the ball into the back of the net and past the Grimsby keeper and defender on the post to put Wrexham 1-0 up.

Grimsby had a great chance to equalise after Dan Sear and Jason Richards had an arial mix up which allowed the visiting striker to unleash a strike leaving Joey Jones in the Wrexham goal no chance of saving, but to the relief of the two Wrexham defenders the ball struck the foot of the post and out for a goal kick.  This was a massive let off for the Wrexham team and the whole team knew they had to up there game now and that is just what the lads in red did, after a series of attempts from the heads of Dan Sear and Gaz Davies, Lee Roberts got in on the act and caused the Grimsby defence trouble and put pay to that after he was bundled over in the box resulting in a penalty to the home side.  Wrexham’s inform skipper Steve Garnett stepped up to take the spot kick but the keeper guessed the right way and parried the shot straight back at Garnett who lifted it over the keeper to make it Wrexham 2-0 Grimsby with 30 minutes of the game gone.

The Wrexham defence of Dan Sear, Jason Richards, Arron Scott and Matty Thomas were dealing with the Grimsby front 2 with ease and Richards found himself in his own half with the ball as he ghosted past 3 of the Grimsby players and closing in on the Grimsby box, he was hacked down by the Grimsby captain.  Arron Scott was given a stern warning from the referee after his reaction to the free kick in his teams favour, from the resulting free kick the Grimsby defence managed to clear the danger.

Wrexham’s third of the game coming just before half time came in an unlikely form and it was from the head of Gaz Davies after yet another series of corners from both Steve Garnett and Steve Elliot and one corner evaded everyone and the youngster was able to power a header straight into the roof of the net to send the Wrexham crowd wild in celebration.

The Half time whistle blew and a good half from Wrexham saw them take a 3-0 lead into the break.
Matty’s inspirational team talk of “the game is not over boys, go and enjoy yourselves and grab more goals” seemed to work as the Wrexham lads came firing out of the blocks in the second half but with the wind playing a huge factor now and Joey Jones almost scoring from a goal kick kick started the second half and it was all Wrexham.

Wrexham brought on Craig Davies for Matty Thomas for a place at left back.  Wrexham now were pilling on more and more pressure and it was from another set piece that Wrexham scored from a yet another headed finish, this time from Liam Partyn as he muscled his way through the mass of bodies to connect with a header which hit the post and nestled in the back of the net to make it 4-0 to the hosts.

Steve Elliot was playing more of a wider position now and made a mockery of the Grimsby right back player as he Cruyff turned the stranded fullback to deliver a deadly ball but no one was able to connect with the cross.

Wrexham made more changes with Nick Mannering come on for Dan Sear and Ian Edwards coming on for Liam Partyn.

Grimsby had no reply at all to the Wrexham onslaught and Jason Richards found himself on yet another run forward ably assisted by Jack Scott and Ian Edwards, but was cut short as Edwards was unfairly challenged and a free kick was awarded and from the resulting free kick, Steve Elliot forced a corner and from the resulting corner Dan Sear somehow missed the ball and it fell for Jason Richards who saw his shot cleared off the line for yet another Wrexham corner.

A quick thinking move from Steve Garnett found Steve Ellliot on the edge of the box for him to deliver a cross for Gaz Davies to find the net with a perfectly headed goal over the stranded Grimsby keeper to make it 5-0 to Wrexham.

Lee Roberts and Gaz Davies were substituted and being replaced by Matt Smith and the returning Josh Leech for the final 15 minutes of the game.
Grimsby did have a chance after the Grimsby strikers found a gap in the Wrexham defence but Joey Jones pulled off a sublime save and the striker put his rebounded shot wide of the Wrexham goal.
The final white blew and Wrexham claimed a 5-0 victory and a clean sheet to cap off a good couple of weeks for the boys from North Wales.  Victory should see Wrexham climb up to 7th in the league.

gazReaction from double salvo goal scorer Gaz Davies is to follow and reaction from Matty Thomas on yet another victory for his team is also to follow.

WP-Backgrounds Lite by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann 1010 Wien