shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out


This is a single blog caption

White Lion Match Report

Wrexham travelled to Buckley in good form having won their last two matches.

bananaThe Fans’ welcomed back Callum Jones who has been unavailable for the best part of a month after losing his boots, and Craig Davies who had been working shifts as one of the Banana in Pyjamas on CBBC.

Wrexham had Nathan back between the sticks, and Jack Scott back after being absent from last weeks voyage to Grimsby.

The game started brightly for both teams, with The White Lion often attacking down the flanks but the Wrexham full backs regularly called into action dealt with the situations impeccably on each occasion.

Wrexham too, found space down the wings, but with only Gaz Davies in the box, the Reds often found it difficult to test the opposition ‘keeper.

Leading the White Lions attack was none other than Mr Josh Leach. The Australian was in the Wrexham managers pocket all half… although ‘Leachy’ was severely crippled from an earlier challenge…

Wrexham did get the ball in the back of the net. A diagonal ball across to Tom Campbell hugging the touch line, saw him beat his man to put in a low cross for Gaz to fire underneath the onrushing ‘keeper. However, the lanky winger was deemed offside by the match official. Cue stick aimed towards Tom, having spent all half vs Grimsby the week earlier offside!

Then it was The White Lions turn to have a goal chalked off. A free kick was awarded 35 yards out. Nath barked 18 yard line to his defenders, and they held their line as the ball was kicked leaving several offensive players offside. A odd call from the referee then followed as he ordered Nathan to take the resulting free kick where the striker had touched the ball; inside the 6 yard area. By this point Nath in his own calm but furious way slammed the ball into the ground.

There was still time for Wrexham to have another goal disallowed before half time. Another fine bit of skill in midfield by Steve Elliot and Steve Garnett released Gaz into the channel. His shot from a tight angle was heading into the net, where Tom Campbell, under pressure from  the defender tapped home the ball. Confusion arose when the ref signalled offside with Tom pleading his case.

Finally Wrexham got what turned out to be the only goal of the game right on the stroke of half time. A Cruyff turn in midfield by ‘Teetz’ again released Gaz into the channel. This time he sprayed the ball across the goal mouth for Jack Scott to tap home. Another tap in for the dynamo, who has a great knack of being in the right place at the right time.

HT: 0-1

The second half saw Craig Davies enter the field for Callum Jones, and a slight jig across midfield and defence. With the wind now in Wrexham’s favour the ball was mostly in the White Lions half. With chances few and far between, Wrexham’s best chance for a second was from Stevie G who took a left footed shot from just outside the box. It wasn’t the quickest of shots, allowing the goalkeeper enough time to shuffle across his goal and pulled off a save (for the cameras!).

The White Lion rarely troubled the Wrexham goal and the Wrexham boys hung on for what was a good win against a Sunday League side.

The fierce hale stoning brought an end to the game; Wrexham winning again, keeping a clean sheet; again.

FT: 0-1

WP-Backgrounds Lite by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann 1010 Wien