shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out


This is a single blog caption

Wrexham Fans 2-2 Kidderminster Fans

This afternoons match took place at Colliers Park, Gresford.

A record attendance for the Wrexham Fans team saw the game being played on the 3G surface, something which suited the Wrexham style of play in their glorious victory over local rivals Chester.

It was the first time Wrexham Fans had played on the Collier Park surface, although some of their talented squad had been playing on the very surface that morning in the Annual Wrexham FC Tournament, where they lost in the final against a very strong Kings Mills Reds.

Kidderminster on the other hand, spent the morning playing against Shrewsbury at The Gay Meadow. The match ended in a heavy defeat for the Kidderminster side, much to the delight of the two delighted Shrews’ Local Yokels, caputered below.


Shrewsbury Yokels

A knock on the dressing door from the match referee, both sides were lead out by their captains onto the pitch. The away side then went down the line, shaking hands with the match officials and the Wrexham team. All this was missing was Wrex the Dragon and Wrexham is the name being blared out!

It was Wrexham who started the match brightest, with the left flank seeing the majority of the play. Wrexham, spread the ball across field to Tom Campbell who had acres of space against the vastly experienced left back. It was a move which Wrexham played on multiple occasions. And it is where the first goal came from.

With no more than 13 minutes on the clock, Wrexham ace Steve Garnett sprayed the ball right to Tom Campbell. Campbell, who’s first touch took him round his marker then cut inside, where he found striker Steve Elliot who was lying deep. As Campbell arced his run, pulling the centre back out of position, it allowed Elliot to smash home a 25 yard shot straight into the top left corner. He gave the keeper no chance with his fierce drive, and the Wrexham striker was mobbed by his team-mates, who were slightly in awe of the goal.

And Wrexham continued to dominate, seeing a high percentage of possession. Kidderminster could only manage one shot from the edge of the D, which saw goalkeeper Nathan Williams having to climb underneath the fence and through the shrubs, as the shot blasted high and wide of his goal.

Wrexham added a second, as again Campbell saw the ball at his feet. He placed a delicately weighted inside pass to Gareth Davies, who was this time the deep lying striker. Davies struck the ball from all of 25 yards and scored an exact replica of the first goal. Cue a standing ovation from the 357 strong crowd in the home end for the sheer brilliance of the youngsters finish.

Wrexham saw out the pressure from Kidderminster, just! A bouncing ball was miss-judged by Wrexham captain Dyfan Jones, but was dealt with impeccably by his centre back partner, Jason Richards. Wrexham almost scored a third, but Elliot wasted a gift by putting the ball the wrong side of the post.

HT: 2-0

At half time player manager Thomas rang the changes. Bringing himself on for Craig Davies who had coped well down the left flank. Tom Campbell departed for Ian Edwards, who was again available since his return from trials with South Florida Bulls. David Jenkins departed for John Tinney, returning following a 7 game ban for indecent exposure. And two minutes into the second half Callum Jones entered for the tiring Jack Scott, having been one of the main men for a Wrexham 12th Man squad that morning.

All these changes destructed the Wrexham side, who had looked a solid outfit during the first half. And soon were to concede their first goal of the game.

That goal came from a corner. Poor marking and organisation from the Wrexham side allowed a flighted ball to be nodded down into the path of a Kidderminster player who, unmarked cooly half volleyed the ball into the back of the Wrexham net.

Anger and frustration began to creep in. Wrexham, who have lead in many games during their first season in the IFA League have seen themselves pinned back. And this game was no different.

A long unchallenged run down the Kidderminster right, saw the right winger pick out a striker who layed the ball off to a advancing midfielder. An attempted block by a Wrexham defender was not enough to put off the midfielder who struck the ball into the bottom corner. 2 – 2.

This goal seemed to kick the Wrexham players back into action. As Dan Sear, a monster in midfield winning so many vital battles departed, eventually on came Liam Partyn, who slotted into that defensive midfielder role.

Wrexham had chances to win the game, as Elliot missed a 1-on-1. The striker done pretty much everything right having broke through. Unfortunately for him, the keeper pulled off an outstanding save. It was tough luck for the striker, who had been suffering from an arse cheek injury following a tackle on the plastic pitch. Consolation for him however, was being voted the Wrexham Fans FC man of the match.

Again, the game was played in exemplary fashion. Both set of fans teams a great example of how the game should be played.

We would also like to thank the match referee, and his two assistants for officiating todays match.

FT – 2 – 2

WP-Backgrounds Lite by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann 1010 Wien